Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Great Pumpkin

I'm a big fan of traditions.  As a matter of fact, I love 'em!  Traditions, the good ones at least, give me that tingly, happy fluttery feeling from the ends of my hair to the tips of my toes...every time.  One of my very favorites that Dick and I have had the entire time we've been married is enjoying a pumpkin-shaped pizza from Papa Murphy's.  It started out as an excuse to not eat something I'd made, because, let's face it, in the beginning it was pretty bad, folks.  But now, its just one of those things we look forward to - its festive, its fun, and its pretty darn tasty!  Here's our 2010 Jacko-Yummy!




Another thing I really love is trying new recipes.  I especially love making seasonal foods, so when I saw the recipe for this pumpkin penne I knew it was a must-try.  Sometimes I halve recipes since its just Dick and I at our house, but when I think we're gonna like something I'll risk making the whole thing so we can have the leftovers for lunches at work throughout the week.  The leftovers from this pasta were gone in record time, and may have even been fought over.  Just a little bit, though.  So, yeah, this yummy seasonal dish was a hit, and I bet it will be at your house, too!


Penne-Wise Pumpkin Pasta
From Rachael Ray on Foodnetwork.com



Ingredients
salt
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 shallots, finely chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, grated
2 c. chicken stock
1 15-oz can pumpkin puree
1/2 c. cream
1 tsp. hot sauce, to taste
freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
2 pinches ground cinnamon
salt & black pepper
7-8 leaves fresh sage, thinly sliced
grated parmigiano-reggiano


Directions
1. Heat water for pasta, salt it & cook penne to al dente.
2. Heat the oil, 2 turns of the pan, over medium heat.  Add shallots and garlic to the pan, saute 3 minutes.
3. Stir in chicken stock and combine w/ pumpkin, stir in cream then season sauce w/ hot sauce, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt & pepper.
4. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 5-6 minutes more to thicken.
5. Stir in sage, toss with pasta with grated cheese, to taste.



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails