Wednesday, August 19, 2009

dutch oven buh-tatoes that ROCK!

Our food-filled trip to the Pacific coast was two weekends ago, but this past weekend we went up to the City of Rocks in Idaho to do some rock-climbing. It's pretty much Richard's new favorite thing in the world to do (comparable to this whole cooking adventure I'm on), and its growing on me, too. Seriously though, I'm no pro, so after an exciting morning and afternoon of climbing I went back to our campsite to whip up a dutch oven dinner of BBQ chicken & potatoes. The title of "buh-tatoes" is one of those family inside jokes that only my family will think is funny, but my family looks at this blog, so the rest of you will just have to endure the Porter sense of humor. We're hilarious, I know. Anyway, This was the only hot meal we had that weekend & it was freaking FREEZING, so everyone loved it. Although, I'm sure they would have loved it anyway. And I'm sure you will, too!
Me getting ready to climb "swiss cheese"
Coming down...and freaking out - yep, I'm definitely
crying like a baby in this picture! Only time it happened
all day...cross my heart. anyway,
see how the rock face looks like swiss cheese?!

Dutch oven buh-tatoes
adapted from my Dad (Don Porter)
Ingredients
10-14 medium russet potatoes, sliced ~1/4 inch.
2 cans cream of mushroom soup (10.5 oz)
3-5 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, chopped or sliced
1 lb bacon, chopped
2 Tbsp. butter
1 1/2 c. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions
Put onions and butter in dutch oven, over coals. Cook about 5 minutes, until onions start to look translucent, then add bacon & garlic. Cook about 10 minutes, until bacon is looking done. Add soup and mix in with bacon & onions, then add potatoes and stir to coat with soup/bacon mixture. Cover and cook ~1 hour, or until potatoes are tender and done. Top with cheese and let sit 5-10 minutes to melt before serving.

I told them to make "yummy faces" and this is what I got.

My baby and me, trying to stay warm in
our sleeping bag after dinner.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails