Monday, June 29, 2009

brown rice & black bean burgers

I'm not sure why exactly, but in the past couple of years I have totally gotten turned off by red meat...I just can't bring myself to eat it! I guess it's mostly beef of any kind because I can still occasionally eat pork, but mostly we just do chicken or fish for meat, and if we need ground meat we always do super-lean turkey. Anyway...this was my first attempt at a healthier substitute for a hamburger. I saw it on my fave blog, www.PrudencePennywise.blogspot.com, and had to try it! As you can see, Rich totally hoovered the burgers. So, if yo're looking for a healthier alternative to ground beef patties, this one is definitely worth a try!



Ingredients
2 cups brown rice cooked
1 can (15 ounces) black beans drained
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
scant 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1-3 tablespoons minced jalapeno or green chilies, (canned is fine)
1/4 cup salsa
1 egg white
1/4 cup to 1/2 cup flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
cheese, if desired

Directions
Mix rice, beans, chili powder, cumin, salt, garlic, onion, cilantro, chilies, salsa, and egg white in large bowl. Mixture will be very moist. Add flour, using only enough so that you can shape the mixture into patties. Dust the outside of the patties lightly with flour. Heat a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add olive oil and warm. Add patties and cook until nicely browned.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails