Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup...and #5 is Sleepless in Seattle

I signed up for these emails from Prevention Magazine for work because sometimes they have good health articles in them that I can print for clients (which is why I have over 1500 messages in my "Wellness Folder!"), but more often than saving good articles I save the yummy recipes they send. This is one of those. We pretty much loved it - flavor was awesome! - but I'll be shredding the chicken next time...I just wasn't in love with random chunks of chicken, and it made the onions stick out MAJOR which I'm just not a huge fan of, unless I'm eating French Onion Soup. Anyway, I hope you love it as much as we did!



Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup
From Prevention Magazine
Ingredients
1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. hot pepper sauce
2 tsp. olive oil
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked and shredded
1 med. onion, finely chopped
1 or 2 jalapeno chili peppers, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 14.5 oz. cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/4 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. water
1/3 c. fat free sour cream
1/3 c. fresh cilantro
4 oz. reduced fat tortilla chips
Directions
1. In a food processor or blender, combine the tomatoes (with juice), black pepper, chili powder, cumin, Worcestershire sauce, and hot pepper sauce. Process to a smooth, thick consistency and set aside.
2. Warm the oil in a large pot over med-high heat. When hot, cook the onion, jalapeno, and garlic, stirring frequently until the onion is translucent. Reduce heat to low, add the tomato mixture, chicken, and broth, and simmer uncovered 15 min.
3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the flour and water until a smooth paste forms. Add to the soup and raise the temp. if necessary to keep the soup just barely boiling. Simmer for 5 min.
4. Remove from heat, add the sour cream, and stir until well blended. Stir in the cilantro, garnish with tortilla chips and serve.



Just so you know, this is not really my #5 favorite romantic movie - it's actually higher! Don't ask me why I'm putting them in this order, I couldn't tell you, it's mostly just by mood. I searched and searched for my favorite clip of the movie (the one where Meg Ryan and Rosie O'Donnel are watching An Affair to Remember, and they are crying and quoting every line), but couldn't. So I figured the trailer would kinda capture all the best scenes...except for that one. Also note that when I watch this movie, I pretty much look just like they do in that scene. I can quote every line, and I get a little teary-eyed. If you haven't seen this movie, then where the heck have you been?! It was made in 1993, for crying out loud - get on the ball! Enjoy your dinner and a movie!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails