Monday, March 8, 2010

"It tastes healthy"...Rice & Black Bean Pilaf

It's just natural for me to ask the same question every time I try a new recipe: "What do you think?" And usually Dick gives me something along the lines of "It's great," "I love it," or "Mmmmmmm," and a couple of times he's broken the news that he doesn't really like it by saying, "Ummm, it's ok, but not my favorite." Don't worry, you haven't seen any of those recipes haha! His reaction to this dish threw me off a little, though. I asked, and he said, "It's really good, but it tastes healthy." Is that a bad thing? He reassured me that NO it is not a bad thing. More than tasting healthy, he explained that its a dish that makes him feel healthy while eating it. I really liked it, and so did he, so I'm taking that comment as a good thing. The flavor was great, and yes, it is a healthy dish! I think you're going to love it. And maybe when you cook it for your guy, he'll get the same healthy satisfaction Dick did. Enjoy!
Rice & Black Bean Pilaf
From Ellie Krieger of the Food Network


Ingredients
1 c. brown rice, uncooked
2 1/4 c. low sodium chicken broth
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. fresh chopped oregano, or 1 tsp. dried oregano
1 stalk celery, finely diced
1 large carrot, finely diced
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. dried chili flakes
1 (15.5 oz) can low-sodium black beans, drained & rinsed
2 tsp. finely chopped parsely leaves
Directions
Place the rice and broth in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook rice, covered, until tender and all the liquid is absorbed, 30-35 min. Remove from heat, uncover, and fluff w/ a fork.
Heat the oil in a large saute pan over med-high heat. Add onions and cook until onions are soft and translucent, ~5 min. Add garlic, oregano, celery, carrot, cumin and chili flakes and cook, stirring occasionally, until carrots are tender but not mushy, ~6 min. Stir in black beans and cook until just warmed through, ~1-2 min.
Combine onion-black bean mixture and hot rice in a serving bowl and toss to combine. Garnish w/ parsely.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails