Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Butternut Apple Soup

So, quite some time ago (it was seriously probably six months or so ago) I was with the fam at my grandparents' house, and I was flipping through a cookbook. My grandma is a diabetic, so it was a book of recipes specifically for a diabetic diet. Anyway, I saw this soup and really wanted to try it, so I wrote the recipe on a post-it, and six months later, here it is! The only thing I didn't do was top it with the Swiss cheese because we didn't have any, but I think that would've only made it even better! I'll definitely do that next time. We really liked it, but I definitely should have halved the recipe - we had it for dinner, lunch the next two days, and there are still leftovers in the fridge! hahaha It was delicious and super easy to make, and I always love anything I can put in the crock pot. I also love how festive it is for Fall! Don't you?!
Butternut Apple Squash
From The Diabetes Comfort Food Cookbook






Ingredients
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp dried rosemary
1/2 tsp cracked black peppercorn
5 c. vegetable or chicken broth
1 butternut squash, ~2.5 lbs, peeled & chopped
2 tart apples (granny smith), coarsely chopped
1 c. shredded Swiss cheese
1/2 c. chopped walnuts


Directions
in a large skillet, heat oil over med-high heat for about 30 seconds. add onions, and cook about 3 minutes to soften. add garlic, rosemary & peppercorns. cook about 1 minute, then transfer to slow cooker. add broth, then stir in squash and apples. cover and cook on low 6-8 hrs, or high 3-4 hrs, or until squash is tender. preheat broiler. working in batches, puree soup in blender. ladle soup into oven-proof bowls, sprinkle with cheese & broil until melted, ~2 minutes. Sprinkle with walnuts.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails