Sunday, July 11, 2010

Chicken Tikka Masala

When we were first married, we went without having television for about a year.  I may have been a better person at that time because of it, or at least more productive.  Fast forward 3 years, and Dick earned major points by surprising me with Dish Network in our new apartment because I was absolutely dying without my Food Network Channel!  I don't know about you, but I get sucked into the Food Network to the point where before I even realize it 3 hours have passed and I have a list of new recipes to try that week in my hand.  I subscribed to the FN magazine while we were without cable, and I'll continue to get it because its literally like having a brand new cookbook come in the mail every month!

Anyway, last week Bobby Flay won a Chicken Tikka Masala Throwdown, and while my mouth was watering I knew that I had to try my hand at this delicious Indian dish.

This turned out to be one of my favorite recipes that I've made in awhile, but I must give a warning:  It is super spicy!!!  I even cut back on what the recipe called for and was sweating at the table while we ate!  With that said, the leftovers I took for lunch the next day were PERFECTION.  I think next time I make it I'll halve the spices - & I like spicy foods.  Just keep that in mind when you try this one. 

So, next time you're feeling like some Indian take-out, but are wanting to save some money, this is your go-to recipe! 



Chicken Tikka Masala
From somewhere in cyberspace



Ingredients
1 c. plain yogurt
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp. minced fresh ginger
4 tsp. salt, or to taste
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces

1 Tbsp. butter
1 clove garlic, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
2 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. paprika
3 tsp. salt, or to taste
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 c. heavy cream
1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro

Directions
1. In a large bowl, combine yogurt, lemon juice, 2 tsp. cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, black pepper, ginger, & 4 tsp. salt.  Stir chicken, cover, & refrigerate for 1 hr.

2. Cook chicken over med-high heat until juices run clear & mostly cooked through.  Remove from heat & set aside.

3. Melt butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat.  Saute garlic & jalapeno pepper 1 minute.  Season w/ 2 tsp. cumin, paprika & 3 tsp. salt.  Stir in tomato sauce & cream.  Simmer on low heat until sauce thickens, about 20 minutes.  Add chicken, and simmer for 10 minutes.  Transfer to a serving platter, & garnish with fresh cilantro.  Serve with brown rice.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails