Monday, July 5, 2010

Red, White & Blue Mashed Potatoes

In the spirit of Independence Day, I decided to be festive with our food.  I'm so grateful for the freedoms I enjoy living in the good ol' U.S. of A, including the freedom to enjoy just about whatever hobbies I choose.  I'm talking about cooking here, people!  It seems like a little thing, but it makes me truly happy.  I hope your holiday weekend was as wonderful as mine has been!  And I hope you enjoy these potatoes, too!  Not sure why the skins in my potatoes look green in this picture, but I promise you they didn't taste green!

Red, White & Blue Mashed Potatoes



Ingredients
5 medium russet potatoes, cleaned & chopped into 1-inch cubes
3 cloves garlic, smashed
6 oz bacon
1/2 - 3/4 c. blue cheese crumbles
1/2 - 1 c. milk (I used skim w/ great results!)


Directions
1. put potatoes & garlic in a large pot, and fill with water until water is 1 inch above the potatoes.  Boil until tender, but not too mushy.  Remove from heat & drain water.
2. while potatoes are boiling, cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crispy.  Drain fat from bacon & chop into small pieces.
3. with a potato masher, mash potatoes and garlic.  Adding milk until you've reached desired consistency.  While mashing, add bacon and blue cheese so that they are mashed in with the potatoes.



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails