Wednesday, July 14, 2010

TWD: Birrrrthday Brrrownies for Jan

I'm a little tardy with this post (it is called Tuesdays With Dorie, afterall), but I'll explain myself at the end of this post.  Prepare yourselves to be green with envy.

All of my life I've pretty much known two kinds of brownies:  1) the Betty Crocker red box mix, which I love, and 2) dry, cakey homemade brownies from other people's kitchens.  My mom was strictly a Betty Crocker gal, and so I grew up on her side.  I still take her side on pretty much everything (excluding her stance on Donny Osmond, Barry Manilow, and the fact that she thinks I stole all of her movies when I moved away from home - I only brought with me what I bought myself or was given as a gift.  so there.), but the fabulous Dorie Greenspan is luring me over to the dark side of brownies made from scratch at home.  The only two recipes I've tried have been Dorie's from her cookbook Baking: From My Home to Yours, and neither have disappointed in the slightest.  My baking club, Tuesdays With Dorie, that is centered around this very cookbook had the pleasure of whipping up Brrrownies this week, and the timing couldn't have been more perfect!  The recipe calls for a heavy dose of York Peppermint Patties.  My mom is a die-hard fan of Junior Mints.  I know they aren't the same, but they're pretty darn close, and that's good enough for a lady who deserves the best.  Especially on her birthday!  I surprised my momma with a plate of these delights as she came out of work today.  She loved them.  I'm sure you'll love them, too.  Click here for the complete recipe.  Its short and sweet, and the fruits of your minimal labors will be totally worth it!




Happy Birthday, Mom!  I love love love you!


I was living in a dream yesterday, so I had to postpone the brrrownies just one day.  I went with my family to see the Sir Paul McCartney LIVE in concert!  My parents are both huge Beatles fans, but my dad especially loves them, so you know I was raised right.  My parents' "song" is Let it be, and one of my favorite memories of my dad is singing along while he played Hey Jude on the guitar.  Dick's family had different musical taste (not that there's anything wrong with that...except that there kind of is), so the concert was kind of a music education/appreciation experience for him.  And that's kind of ironic because he's so musically talented!  Anyway, here is a glimpse at one of the greatest nights of my life.  Seriously.








2 comments:

Gourmified said...

Aw, Man! I'm totally jealous! McCartney...sweet!!

Rachel Jenkins said...

OMG! The brownies look DIVINE! Definitely gonna have to make these tasty treats!

Related Posts with Thumbnails