Sunday, October 10, 2010

Casserole Stew, to clean out the fridge

You know those times when you get to the end of the week and you've already made everything on your menu, but you have bits and pieces of all of those dinners left over in your fridge?  This soup was the result of just one of those times.  I needed to use it all so nothing went bad, but I just wasn't in the mood for a casserole.  So in the spirit of the classic "odds & ends casserole" I made a sort of casserole stew, where I just threw it all in a pot of broth, heated, and served.  It worked like a charm.  Dick was happy, the fridge was almost bare, and I could start planning the next week's menu with a delicious meal in my belly. 


Casserole Stew
A Get in the Kitch Original



Ingredients
4 c. broth (I used a mix of vegetable and chicken)
3 c. mixed veggies (I used carrots, yellow squash, mushrooms, & onions)
1 can kidney beans, drained & rinsed
1 1/2 c. shredded chicken, cooked
salt & pepper


Directions
1. Combine the broth & veggies in a large pot, and warm over medium-high heat.  Cook until veggies are just tender.
2. Add kidney beans & chicken. Cook until warmed through. Salt and pepper to taste.
3. Serve with dinner rolls, so you can sop up the broth at the bottom of your bowl.





No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails