Welp, it's just about the end of summer, and I've finally made one of my fam's staple summer dishes for the very first time this year! Pitiful, I know. My mom picked this one up from our neighbor, the one and only Nanette Wayment, at a church pot-luck kind of dinner a few years ago, and we all loved it so much that its pretty much makes regular appearances at bbq's, birthday parties, and any other function where we can find an excuse to have it. It is officially my grandpa Tony's favorite fruit salad/dessert, so he's usually the one to request it, but none of us are complaining! As you can see from the pictures, I started out in a bowl that was much too small, so make sure you start out in a big bowl. I always underestimate how much room the fruit will take up. Anyway, its super easy, super tasty, and a major crowd-pleaser... so give the people what they want!
fruit & cookie salad dessert
adapted from Nanette Wayment
1 large tub whipped topping
1 packet vanilla pudding mix
1 c. green grapes, halved
1 banana, sliced
1/2 can (20 oz) pineapple chunks, drained
1 1/2 c. strawberries, hulled & quartered
1 11 oz. can Mandarin oranges, drained
~12 fudge striped shortbread cookies
1. Put whipped topping into large bowl & sprinkle pudding mix over it.
2. Add grapes, banana, pineapple, strawberries, & Mandarin oranges.
3. Crumble 8 of the cookies & add them to the bowl.
4. Fold the fruit and cookies into the whipped topping. Stir just enough to mix everything well, but not too much so that the whipped topping becomes runny.
5. Crumble or place the remaining cookies on top of the salad for decoration.
6. Refrigerate until served.