Thursday, September 3, 2009

Prudence Pennywise = my "Julia" & Ricotta blueberry pancakes

You know, it was no coincidence that I started my blog just about the same time the movie 'Julie & Julia' came out in theaters...it was FATE! I'm being 100% serious when I tell you that my starting this cooking journey had absolutely nothing to do with that movie - cross my heart & hope to die. It really all started when I found the genius blog of Prudence Pennywise during my last fall semester of college - for the life of me, I cannot remember how I stumbled upon it, but it/she changed my life forever. I know, that probably sounds a little bit dramatic, but I promise you, that is no exaggeration. For the first time ever I was excited to cook, to try new recipes, and to step outside of my comfort zone in the kitchen. And now, even though not every single dish turns out to be a masterpiece, I feel like a culinary superhero hahaha! ok, so that one is a bit of an exaggeration...but really, for some crazy reason I get this ridiculous RUSH when cooking, and I feel like a new and happier person. I can't explain it, but I just know that I LOVE it, and I'm so happy I found Prudy! So, I read the book a few weeks ago, and last night I finally saw the movie (loved both, by the way!), which is why I had to explain all of this in the first place. I realized that Prudence Pennywise is my Julia Child. Thanks for everything, Prudence Pennywise. My world is a better place because of you!



And now, on with the show...I had all of this ricotta cheese left over from the lasagna a made awhile ago, so I searched (yep, you guessed it!) the Food Network website for recipes that called for ricotta, and tuh-dah - ricotta blueberry pancakes by none other than the wonderful, beautiful, and let's face it, busty Giada De Laurentiis. I even woke up extra early to make these before I went to work, and they were totally worth it!!! I really didn't think that the honey syrup would make that big of a difference, and I almost didn't make it, but thank heavens I did - it was divine! The flavors go together perfectly, and the whole thing is just super simple. If you don't want to wake up before work to make them, at least do it on a weekend. I know the statement I'm about to make is a bold one, but I just have to say it: best pancakes EVER! Really, truly they are. You'll think so, too - I just know it!

Ricotta blueberry pancakes
from Giada De Laurentiis on the Food Network





Ingredients
2 c. water
1/3 c. sugar
1/3 c. honey
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 c. pancake mix (I used whole wheat Krusteaz)
1 c. whole milk ricotta cheese (I used part skim)
2/3 c. frozen blueberries
melted butter
Directions
stir 1/3 c. water and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat until sugar is dissolved, about 5 min. stir in honey. set aside & keep warm.
using a rubber spatula, stir in the remaining 1 2/3 c. water & vanilla in a large bowl. add pancake mix and stir until just moistened, but still lumpy. stir the ricotta cheese into the pancake mixture, then stir gently to incorporate the ricotta, but maintain a lumpy batter. fold in the blueberries.
heat a griddle over medium heat. brush with melted butter. working in batches, spoon 1/4 c. of batter onto the griddle for each pancake. cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes each side. serve with honey syrup.




1 comment:

Rachel Jenkins said...

It was fate! The first time I saw the trailer for the movie it totally reminded me of you! I said Rach HAS to see this movie!! :) I'm glad you've found a hobby that brings you so much joy! I know it brings me joy when I get to eat your yummy creations! Love you girl! Keep up the good work! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails