Sunday, September 6, 2009

SWEET roasted acorn squash

I don't ever remember eating this kind of squash growing up - my mom's squash of choice was usually banana squash (which I loooove!). But when I saw Sunny Anderson make this one on her show 'Cooking For Real' my mouth immediately started watering, and I've been watching for them to go on sale ever since! -Little side note: the Sunny Anderson actually left me a comment on my post including her recipe for hasselback potatoes awhile ago! I cannot tell you how stoked I was (my freak was freaked, to say the very least!!!). I was and still am star-struck! It was pretty much the most exciting thing that's happened in my adult life, for sure. I felt a little weird bringing lots of attention to it at the time, but thinking about it now, I don't really care - it kind of made my whole year, and definitely made this whole cooking blog experience that much more exciting and meaningful to me! So, there you go - Not only is this my new fave squash because it's rico (just found out that means "rich" or "delicious" in spanish!), but it's also by far the easiest to clean the seeds out of!!! That's the only downer to cooking squash...the nasty seeds & gunk in the middle - yuuuuuck! So yeah, as you can see from the last picture, Dick and I ate every last bite. If all vegetables tasted like this one (pretty much like candy) parents would probably be getting requests from their kids for them every night hahaha ENJOY!
Sweet Roasted Acorn Squash
from Sunny Anderson on the Food Network






Ingredients
2 acorn squash, sliced in half & seeds removed
4 Tbsp butter
4 Tbsp dark brown sugar
1 tsp ground nutmeg
salt
2 Tbsp raw cane sugar
Directions
preheat oven to 450 degrees. assemble squash on a baking sheet. place 1 Tbsp of butter and brown sugar in each half. add 1/4 tsp of nutmeg to each and season with salt. bake until golden and tender, about 1 hour, basting flesh of the squash several times. 20 minutes before the squash is done, sprinkle the edges with raw sugar. serve squash warm.



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails