Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Remember the buffalo wings

Yes, it's that time again...football season! Now, I'm not really a big fan of the game of football. I always had a blast at my high school's football games (go Falcons!), and I'll watch the Super Bowl every year (mostly for the delicious spread of food that is involved - and the commercials), but my real connection to football is the movie Remember the Titans. This is my all-time favorite movie. I've seriously probably seen it over 50 times, and Dick refuses to watch it with me because I know all of the lines and will say them along with the the characters. Is there a better story of overcoming the odds and achieving victory, brotherhood, and friendship through sport? No, there is not. Please don't argue this one with me, it is my blog, after all. hahaha


So, in honor of this fine fall sport I decided to try a recipe that's a must-have at every tailgating or Monday Night Football party: boneless buffalo wings. I also found a blue cheese yogurt dip recipe to go with them that I highly recommend (thank you, Bobby Flay!). So, if you're going to a game, take some wings to share! And if you're not going to a game, pop in the Titans and enjoy!



Boneless Buffalo Wings

from EatingWell.com





Ingredients
3 Tbsp nonfat buttermilk
3 Tbsp hot pepper sauce
3 Tbsp distilled white wine vinegar (I used apple cider & it tasted great!)
2 lbs chicken tenders
6 Tbsp whole wheat flour
6 Tbsp cornmeal
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 Tbsp canola oil
2 c. peeled carrot sticks
2 c. celery sticks


Directions
whisk buttermilk, 2 Tbsp hot pepper sauce, & 2 Tbsp vinegar in a large bowl until combined. Add chicken; toss to coat. Transfer to the refrigerator and let marinate for at least 10 minutes or up to 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, whisk flour & cornmeal in a shallow dish. whisk the remaining hot sauce and vinegar in a small bowl.
remove the chicken from the marinade and roll in the flour mixture until evenly coated. Discard remaining marinade & flour mixture. Sprinkle both sides with cayenne.
Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a large nonstick skillet over med-high heat. Add half the chicken, place each in a little oil. Cook until golden brown & cooked through, 3-4 minutes per side. Transfer to serving platter. Repeat with the remaining 1 Tbsp oil & chicken, reducing the heat if necessary. Transfer to the platter. Drizzle the chicken with the reserved hot sauce mixture. Serve with carrots, celery & blue cheese dip.



Blue Cheese Yogurt Dip
from Bobby Flay

Ingredients
1 pint thick Greek yogurt
3/4 c. blue cheese, crumbled
2 Tbsp finely chopped red onion
3 Tbsp finely sliced scallions
salt and fresh ground pepper


Directions
combine all ingredients & season with salt and pepper. cover & refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails