Saturday, November 21, 2009

I'm THANKFUL for Sweet Potato Biscuits!!!

I was just thinking about how I'd only ever eaten sweet potatoes/yams one way my whole life until this year, and that way was always in the form of candied yams on Thanksgiving. My aunt makes awesome candied yams with these cinnamon apples every year, and they are always a big hit. But I have to be honest, my favorite part of that dish has always been the apples, so I'd always just scoop some off the top and leave the yams for everyone else to enjoy. I've only been married 3 years, but in that amount of time, Dick has transformed me into a much more daring eater and cook! Seriously. I will now cook with and eat any color of bell pepper, I'm getting braver when it comes to tomatoes (baby steps, sweetie), and I'm making foods with sweet potatoes and actually eating them! And this one is awesome, so I wanted to share it with all of my favorite peeps just in time for all of our Thanksgiving feasts. If you're looking for something new to spice up your usual dinner, this one would be an awesome tradition to start! Hope you like it. And Happy Thanksgiving, for heaven's sake!



Sweet Potato Biscuits
Baking From My Home to Yours, by Dorie Greenspan



Ingredients
2 c. all purpose flour (I used half whole wheat flour)
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
pinch of ground cinnamon or freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
2 Tbsp. packed light brown sugar
3/4 stick (6 Tbsp) cold, unsalted butter, cut into 12 pieces
2 15-ounce cans sweet potatoes in light syrup, drained & mashed
Directions
Whisk flour, baking powder, salt & spice together in a bowl. add brown sugar & stir; make sure there are no lumps. drip in the butter, and, using your fingers, toss to coat it w/ flour. quickly cut rub the butter into the dry ingredients until mixture is pebbly.
Add sweet potatoes to the bowl, grab a fork, and toss & turn until you've got a nice soft dough. with your hands, gently knead 3-4 times, just enough to bring everything together.
Lightly dust a work surface w/ flour, and turn out the dough. Dust the top of the dough very lightly w/ flour & pat the dough out w/ your hands until it is about 1/2 inch high.
Use a 2- to 2 1/4-inch biscuit cutter to cut as many biscuits as you can. Transfer biscuits to a greased baking sheet & cook in a 425 degree oven for 14-18 minutes, or until they are puffed and golden brown. Cool them on a rack about 10 minutes before serving.

Coming up:
Spinach-Artichoke Dip

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails