Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Spinach-Artichoke Dip & tradition...TRADITION!!!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!
Alright, alright, I know that Turkey Day isn't here quite yet, but blogging is the last thing I'm going to be doing Thursday, so you get my holiday wishes today. I absolutely adore Thanksgiving - to me it just feels like the official start of the holiday season! I'm already listening to Christmas music these days, but on Thanksgiving I will no longer feel like a big dork for listening so early. I'll also bust out all of my Christmas decorations, and for the next month or so I'll become a more cheerful person...I can't explain it, it just comes with the holiday. This year we'll be spending the holiday with Dick's side of the fam, and although I love them dearly, I have a hard time not doing exactly what I've done for my whole life (or as long as I can remember) with my own family. I'm a terribly sentimental and emotional person that holds fast to tradition, and when something, even my own marriage, messes with those traditions my world gets seriously rocked! Crazy, I know. Anyway, I thought I'd share with you some of my favorite Thanksgiving traditions since I won't actually be doing them this year, and maybe this new coping mechanism will help me not be such a basket case hahaha.
Probably not, but here's hoping!
Waking up to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade - I love the Rockettes!!!
Watching Mr. Pederman host the National Dog Show.
As if that wasn't enough tv, watching Miracle on 34th Street (yes, the new one!), before even taking a shower for the day.
Trucking it to Grandma Shirl's for my aunt Dayna's killer Monkey Bread (which I just realized when searching for a picture is not what the rest of the world thinks monkey bread is!). Also, we may never enjoy this family fave again, now that she's on a crazy no-carb diet!
Making the saddest looking graham cracker gingerbread houses you've ever seen, after dinner is cleaned up, but not before it has completely settled in our stomachs.
I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday, and that you enjoy all of your favorite traditions!!! Maybe this awesome dip can be a new tradition to add to your spread this year.
Spinach-Artichoke Dip
From the Food Network Magazine





Ingredients
1 10-oz bag baby spinach
1 c. packed fresh basil
3/4 c. canned cannellini beans, drained & rinsed (I used garbanzo beans)
6 oz Neufchatel cream cheese
1 clove garlic, smashed
1/2 c. low-sodium chicken broth
1 14-oz can artichoke hearts, drained & squeezed dry & finely chopped
1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
3/4 c. shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
pinch of cayenne pepper
2-3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
freshly ground black pepper
cooking spray
chips or crackers for serving
Directions
1. preheat oven to 450 degrees. bring a pot of salted water to a boil and prepare a bowl of ice water. stir the spinach and basil into the boiling water and cook until bright green, ~30 seconds. remove w/ a slotted spoon and immediately plunge in the ice water. drain and squeeze dry, then roughly chop.
2. puree the beans, cream cheese, garlic, & chicken broth in a food processor until smooth, scraping the sides as needed. transfer to a medium bowl and fold in the spinach and basic, artichokes, Parmesan & 1/2 c. mozzarella. add the cayenne, Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 tsp salt, and black pepper to taste.
3. mist a deep 1-quart casserole dish w/ cooking spray. spread the dip mixture in the dish & top w/ the remaining 1/4 c. mozzarella. bake until golden & bubbly, 20-25 minutes. serve warm w/ chips or crackers.



Coming up:
Pecan-Cranberry Pumpkin Bread

4 comments:

Rachel the Red said...

I love the new Miracle on 34th Street! Honestly it's a holiday favorite of mine! I think I watch it at least 5 times during the Christmas season! lol! I'm jealous of your holiday traditions! We only eat food on Thanksgiving... and play football... nothing too special. Actually, I am the only one who plays football... so really food and football is my own personal tradition... lame!I want cool traditions... Oh, and I want to try some of the dip!

Gourmified said...

Are you kidding me! I'm such a sucker for all things Christmas! Your Dip looks AMAZING!!! One of my most favorite's out there...and my hips to show it!

Molly Jean said...

Mr. Pederman?! I love it!!!

And the dip looks great too ;)

camelia said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,


petitchef.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails