Sunday, July 12, 2009

-banana bread & whole grain breakfast cookies-

Unless you really know me, you wouldn't know that I haven't always liked cooking, and I haven't had a real knack for cooking until lately. Its a long story with lots of sad cooking disasters that you don't really want to hear...trust me. But this banana bread recipe is one of the first things that I actually got right on my first attempt, so it is very close to my heart! I called Grandma Shirl looking for a recipe, and this is the one she gave me. It is from a Lion House cookbook, not sure which one. The more bananas you use, the better it tastes! And the riper, the better!




Banana Bread
Ingredients
1/2 c. butter
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 c. mashed bananas
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 c. milk
2 c. flour (I use half whole wheat)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or chocolate chips (or both!)
Directions
Cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Mix in bananas, lemon juice, & milk. Mix in flour, baking powder, baking soda, & salt. Mix in nuts and chocolate chips, if using. Bake about 1 hour at 350 degrees. Remove from oven and pan and cool on rack.

I made these whole grain cookies for a health fair cook-off, and they were a big hit even though they didn't win. We liked them so much that I made my dad a plate for his Father's Day breakfast, and he loved them, too! Then, this past weekend we threw Momma a surprise 50th birthday bash, and I made them again...but this time my sister requested that I replace the raisins with white chocolate chips - they were AWESOME! The birthday girl, and all of her guests, ate every last one! So, if you're going for healthy, just do the dried fruit, but if you're looking for a white chocolate treat, make the substitution!


Whole Grain Breakfast Cookies
adapted from Prudence Pennywise
Ingredients
5 Tbsp softened butter
3 Tbsp canola oil
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1 egg
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 c. whole wheat flour
1 1/2 c. quick oats
1/4 c. wheat germ
1 c. combination of raisins & craisins (or white chocolate chips)
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine butter and sugars in medium bowl, creaming until fluffy.
3. Add vanilla and eggs.
4. Stir in salt, cinnamon, powder, and soda. Stir in wheat flour, then oats, and then wheat germ. 5. Stir in cranberries and raisins (white chocolate chips).
6. Roll into 1 inch balls and place on cookie sheets with at least two inches of space between them.
7. Bake for about 10-12 minutes.
*Don't let them get too brown, unless you like them crunchy. Bake until barely brown on the edges. Cool a couple minutes on the tray before transferring to the rack.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails