Saturday, July 11, 2009

> completos & potato salad <

Hopefully by now whoever is following this blog knows how much I absolutely love food, and I consider myself a very lucky girl that my Man loves it, too. Our loves are quite different, though. I'm pretty sure he doesn't think as much about what he puts into his mouth as much as I do - he'll swallow just about anything, I swear. Except for the cookie dough. Needless to say, when he recommends that I eat something, I ALWAYS ask questions. I won't give you all the details, but one time I came home from work and he had prepared "pork and beans casserole" ... so yeah, I'm gonna be skeptical when he says that something is worth eating. One thing I do have to give him props for, though, are "completos." He went to Chile on his mission, and they were one of his favorite things to eat there - he raves about them! They are basically a glorified hot dog, but there are a few requirements: 1) you MUST put avocado on it - not necessarily guacamole, just avocado 2) they can't be on Wonder Bread buns! You have to go with the good bakery buns, and toast them in the oven 3) You need a good weiner! We usually use brats of some kind. I caved and ate a beef brat tonight, and I can't lie, I loved it! Anyway, you can bring a little bit of Chile to your kitchen by making completos, just like we do.

I decided to make potato salad with our Chilean barbeque tonight. My Grandma Shepherd (we call her Shirl, cuz she's pretty much the hippest grandmother in the world) has to make her potato salad at every family get together of the summer because everyone loves it so much. But to tell you the truth, I think my mom makes an even better version! And it is something that no one in my family is willing to share with outsiders ... leftovers are literally fought over! I finally dared to try making it for the first time last summer, and it got good reviews so I'm keeping at it. Someone in my ward actually called me for the recipe on the 4th of July, so I've got to be doing something right ... right?!





Completos
Ingredients

6 bratwursts (whatever flavor you want)
6 bakery hot dog rolls
1 Tbsp olive oil
~3 avocados, peeled & diced
1tsp. lemon juice
pinch of salt
1 tomato, diced

Directions

1. Mix avocado, lemon juice, salt & mash together to desired consistency
2. Boil or grill bratwursts
3. Cut open hot dog rolls and lay face up on baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil & put under broiler until warm and just slightly crisp.
4. Put bratwurst on a roll and top with avocado & tomato.
5. Add any other condiments you'd like!


Potato Salad
Ingredients
5 medium red potatoes, cut into ~1/2 in. cubes
1/2 - 3/4 c. mayonaise
1-2 Tbsp mustard
1 Tbsp Ranch dressing
4-5 hard boiled eggs, cubed
1/3 dill pickles, diced
2-3 green onions (scallions)
garlic powder
onion salt
Directions
1. Boil potatoes in medium pot until soft. Drain & run under cold water. Put in bowl you'll be mixing in & place in the fridge to continue cooling.
2. After potatoes are cooled, add mayonaise, Ranch, mustard, pickles & onions and mix.
3. Season with garlic powder and onion salt to taste.
4. Mix in eggs.
5. Store in fridge until ready to serve.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails